Operational Safety Manager
Base Location: Inverness, Aberdeen, Glasgow or Perth
Salary: £53,000 - £79,000 + car/cash allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
What is the Role?
The Operational Safety Manager will have the following key responsibilities:
- Take the lead for all aspects of operational safety and training and take counsel from the Head of SHE to ensure consistency across the Transmission business regarding the development, implementation, communication, coordination, and governance of all operational safety matters.
- The Operational Safety Manager will lead the strategic development and continual improvement of the Operational Safety Rules and associated Approved Procedures within Transmission and provide guidance to ensure safety from the system when accessing, operating and maintaining the transmission network.
- Effectively engage with stakeholders to deliver process safety documentation that defines the Operational Safety Rules for the safe operation of the network.
- You will manage the Transmission operational training facility and oversee the training and authorisation of staff and contractor partners to enable them to safely work on or near the Transmission network. This will require close coordination with other parts of the SSE group and external organisations to ensure the delivery and maintenance of our Quality Management System on operational training.
- The role may occasionally require a significant amount of travel for customer and stakeholder engagement and attendance at company and industry meetings. The Operational Safety Manager will be the conscience of the Transmission business on all aspects of operational safety, and along with direct line reports, provide training, support, advice, guidance and governance on compliance with the Operational Safety Rules
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive knowledge of operational activities (overhead, underground and substation) on transmission networks or similar. Experience of the roles and responsibilities of authorised persons, safe systems of work, requirements for training, coupled with extensive understanding of electrical theory relating to operational safety rules and the management of network operations. Experience drafting clear, unambiguous technical documentation is also expected.
- Degree level or equivalent in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with continuing professional development or appropriate proven knowledge and experience. You are likely to be have been a Senior Authorised Person or held some level of network authorisation.
- Detailed knowledge of qualitative and quantitative risk assessments techniques including demonstrable experience of the application of ALARP risk assessment in relation to network operations
- Trained and experienced in incident investigation and experienced in providing advice, support and guidance to permit SSE project/ operational teams and contract partners to be best placed to manage Operational Safety risk
- Working with SHE Management System policies and strategies within an asset intensive engineering environment including knowledge of SHE regulations in the UK.
SSE plc is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com