Academic Opportunities - Cyber Information Systems
About the job
Dstl are looking for academics wanting the challenge of using their world leading research skills to solve applied scientific problems. We have positions in our growing Space, Physics, Engineering, Communications, Intelligence gathering, Data Science, Software and Electronics research capabilities. We are offering the choice of permanent or fixed term appointments or for those wanting a short term break from academia, an up to 2 year sabbatical (subject to University approval). All roles are either Full or Part Time and could be part of a job share.
Who are we?
Whilst Dstl is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) the work conducted is in support of wider protection and safety, from global terrorism and organised crime to cyber-attacks. The challenge with defence is we have to be right all of the time: our adversaries only have to get lucky once. So, we need a collection of inquisitive minds, drawn from a wide range of subject areas, to provide the all-aspect protection that's needed. This wide ranging remit ensures that the sensitive and specialist work we conduct cannot be done anywhere else!
The convergence of Electromagnetic, Cyber, Space and Information activities are critical to achieving UK Defence’s mission and requires coordination and integration for success. Our purpose is to develop science and technology concepts that provide specialist technical advice and research to underpin the development of novel capabilities, that could be deployed to support the protection and safety of the UK’s wider interests.
As an organisation we we range from early career graduates, mid-career specialists, ex-academics and ex-military personnel through to Fellows of Dstl and Chartered Institutes. We have a high percentage of individuals with PhD and Masters level academic qualifications, some of whom qualified whilst with us, as we highly value and actively support continuous professional development. We also highly value and maintain our excellent publication capability
What could you do?
As part of the MOD we are charged with keeping our citizens safe and maintaining UK prosperity. To support this Dstl conducts targeted research and provides specialist advice. If you join us you could:
• Use your academic background to apply the latest thinking to our research programmes, developing specialist skills and information for the protection of the UK and its interests.
• Use your background in Maths and the Sciences to develop novel sensing capabilities and positioning systems.
• Use your background in Maths and Physics to help guide the direction of research and development of the use of novel techniques to protect access to and exploitation of the electro-magnetic spectrum.
• Use your background in the digital communications field to help us research, design and develop resilient communication systems and networks.
• Bring your latest thinking to supporting the delivery of Science & Technology by directing and developing related research and by developing tools and solutions.
• Use your deep understanding of advanced Mathematics to identify the latest Cyber Vulnerabilities and exploit them.
• Bring your analytical skills to technically partner Industry and Academia to ensure the very best quality of work is supplied to MOD Delivery Teams.
• Bring your AI and Machine Learning skills to our cutting edge automation and control research.
• Use your background in Astro Physics, Physics or Mathematics to help build the growing capability of the Space group.
We're flexible, are you?
We need new minds to provide different insights into these activities. We take a very flexible approach to current skills and experience: detailed knowledge of these topics is not necessarily required; what you need is a logical mind and familiarity with a relevant STEM discipline.
Would you like to work from home more often? We can offer research roles that will allow a large percentage of your time to be spent working remotely.
You may be a post-doctoral researcher, a career returner or looking for a mid-career switch. We offer flexible working patterns, including full-time, part-time, job share or (subject to agreement with your current employer) secondment.
Solving tomorrow's problems, today.
As the science inside UK defence and security, Dstl is charged with making sure our Armed Forces, and our nation, are not defeated by technology shock. Within all domains, this requires a broad range of people working in multi-disciplinary teams.
Recently the government’s Integrated Review has highlighted the extra funding and investment in the Cyber, Information and Electronic Warfare areas, come and join us in securing your future along with the future of the UK.
Our experience shows that new insights from people with non-traditional technical backgrounds are particularly valuable. To keep ahead, we need continual research, including (subject to classification) publication in peer-reviewed venues.
Who do we want to recruit?
We want Academic Researchers, Leaders or Lecturers with a flair for problem solving and a passion for new technologies who are looking for a career with security and a difference, with research, design, development or engineering experience ideally in the academic areas of Computer Science, Information Science, Electronic Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related field.
This role would suit someone who wishes to get up in the morning knowing they are making a real difference to the safety and security of our Country, not just to some Company’s bottom line.
Why work for Dstl?
Our unique position in government means that you will:
• Get the chance to work in an organisation that has a broad range of work from fundamental research through to delivery of in-service equipment.
• Work on a variety of interesting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere.
• Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and supports national prosperity.
• Do the right things for the right reasons; we’re impartial and not in it for profit!
• Be trusted by Industry, Academia and partner Countries alike, using that trust to make a real difference.
• Form links across Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
• Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet cutting-edge challenges.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
Individuals within DSTL who hold dual nationality and currently hold the required clearance level may apply. If found suitable for the role further security discussions will need to take place before a formal offer can be made.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
DSTL is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com