Maritime Mission System Specialist
Fareham, South East, PO17 6AD
About the job
This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in, and influence, technology that is heart of in-service and future maritime platforms. Dstl’s Platform Systems Department, Above Water Group undertakes research into all aspects of maritime mission systems, in particular how these systems of systems are designed, developed, evolved and acquired. It also provides advice to MOD capability and procurement managers. The individual will work within the Maritime Systems Engineering (MSE) team which is a part of the Platforms Systems Division.
The salary will be dependent upon the level of proficiency, expertise, qualifications etc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We particularly welcome applications from female and BAME candidates and those from the LGBTQI+ community.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Existing knowledge of maritime Command and Control (C2) Systems;
• and/or knowledge computing/network infrastructures;
• and/or knowledge of maritime sensor/weapon systems and integrating them into complex systems of systems;
• and/or the use of unmanned systems in maritime operations;
• a desire to learn/develop new skills;
• the initiative and confidence to develop and progress new concepts/ideas;
• good verbal and written communication skills;
• focus on delivering the required output.
In this role you will:
• Gain an understanding of the complexity of maritime mission systems from both the infrastructure and functional aspects, including the non-functional or transversals (e.g. safety, security and availability) and also interoperability at both UK and coalition levels;
• Be involved in the analytical and advisory aspects of projects concerning the application of open systems principles to maritime mission systems;
• Provide insight into the maritime use of unmanned platforms and their C2 integration with other maritime systems;
• Work closely with other domain specialists within Dstl and industry to ensure outputs meet the needs of the partner community;
• Develop your knowledge of Open System architectures and apply this to future maritime mission system design;
• Participate in demonstrations/experiments and trials;
• Develop relationships across Dstl, industry and with international partners to develop the above systems.
• Working across multidisciplinary teams across the organisation and potentially more widely.
• Supervising scientific research undertaken by industry.
• Working successfully with diverse groups.
• Achieving outcomes through others.
We offer the opportunity to develop technical and leadership skills within a highly successful Team, whose services are in high demand. You will work as part of a project team collaborating with the Project Manager and Project Technical Authority. Tasks will vary in duration from months to years. This role will crosscut a number of maritime areas and as such will require system engineering skills which can be brought to bear in a coherent and coordinated approach.
You will probably be either a graduate in science or engineering or have equivalent experience in a relevant field. Knowledge and experience of systems engineering is essential.
Membership of a professional body such as the IET or BCS.
The following are essential skills for this role:
• An understanding of Open architecture systems
• Good numerical skills
• Good written and verbal skills
• The ability to work with others as part of a team
• The ability to work independently on project tasking
Experience of working on electronic systems within the maritime domain for example: maritime mission systems or system integration.
An understanding of maritime missions systems and there constituent components and inter-relationships.
Trials experience in the maritime domain.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Knowledge of Maritime Command & Control (C2) Systems
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
DSTL is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com