Team Leader Approved Dosimetry Services (ADS)
About the job
As Dstl’s first line of management, the primary purpose of the Team Leader (TL) ADS is to provide leadership to the people in their team. This has a balance of leading/ managing people and potentially technical leadership, ensuring the development and delivery of capability to meet current and future demand.
The Team Leader also fulfils facility leadership and management of the ADS facility in support of Defence activities relating to radiological hazards and the Defence Radiation Nuclear Emergency Response Organisation.
Are you confident in leading people reporting directly to you through:
? leading & supervising the Team, contributing to business and technical planning
? ensuring availability of sufficient staff with the proficiencies to meet the delivery requirements if the facility
? setting SMART objectives and targets, while providing mentorship and advice on career development
? reviewing performance, recommending reward and recognition
Using sound governance principles, can you:
? Provide the inclusive leadership to develop the capability and people to meet current and future business needs
? Assure technical/scientific leadership for the facility through effective use of the Team's resources/expertise
? Maintain and develop networks to steward the ADS capability– this should include engagement with other teams and groups, both across Divisions to ensure programme coherence and additionally wider networking with Other Government Departments, industry and academia where appropriate
? Engagingly connect with Project Managers to enable effective performance management and development of the people and facility.
As the team leader you would be responsible for the following tasks:
? Safety, Security and Performance of the Facility and its people. Specifically, the appointed Workplace Supervisor Role
? Support to customers
? Financial Management of the ADS facility
? Capability planning to craft the future of the NIS facility
We are looking for someone who has:
• The ability to quickly develop good working relationships with a variety of people.
• Good networking skills.
• Tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide range of issues/challenges
• Persistence to see things through to a conclusion
• Passion for developing capability and people
• The ability to lead through change
• Able to communicate coherently and sensitively, explaining complex issues in a way that is easy to understand.
• Emotional Intelligence, able to understand own and others reactions, motivations etc
• Able to handle conflicting priorities successfully delivering to changing requirements.
• Able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Effective leadership
• Management and/or supervision of people and tasks
• Excellent communication skills.
• Sufficient technical and business management expertise to understand the tools, techniques and skills required within the Team and how to develop them.
• Understanding of safety, security and resilience risks in order to assess/mitigate those relating to the specific team.
• Understanding the business benefits of diversity and equality and how to create an inclusive working environment
• Commercial Awareness - ability to understand what makes a business or organisation successful. Understanding of the commercial implications of contracts and working practices.
• Able to develop networks and use these to resolve issues/challenges.
Knowledge of Radiation Dosimetry Services.
• Understanding of Dstl’s business model
• Understanding of the safety security and resilience risks of the programmes and projects that the Team supports.
Security Clearance Required
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Communicating and Influencing
Developing Self and Others
Delivering at Pace
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Communicating and Influencing
Developing Self and Others
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Please explain how you feel your skills and experience support your application for this role.
Please explain how you have worked successfully with a team to deliver a cross cutting objective.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Technical skills.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview scheme for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Your application will require answers to the behavioural questions followed by two technical questions related to the Team Leader positions. Your answers will be assessed in relation to both leadership skills and the technical/professional requirements for specific positions.
Please note that we will be sifting by with interviews being held in late January 2021. These will be conducted by video call.
If invited to interview, you may be required to give a short presentation on a topic sent to you with your interview invite.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
DSTL is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com