Systems Engineer- Integrated Capability Lead
£31,983 - £54,683
About the job
An exciting opportunity to lead the development of a new capability within the Electromagnetic Protection Group within the Coordinated Countermeasure Effects Team in our Platform Systems Division.
You'll lead the development of the Integrated Survivability capability that will bring together Science and Technology across the domains. with the purpose of developing counters to multi spectral and networked threat systems and environments. The initial focus will be in the Air domain with aspirations to pull the capability through for Maritime.
You'll seek to understand the key challenges facing our customers based on understanding platform protection, the threat environment, and the likely nature of future military operations in order to lead, influence and develop research proposals and activities that provide advice to address those challenges.
Advising colleagues in the Military and Defence procurement on platform countermeasure solutions. and collaborating with equivalent project and capability teams from across our International Partners will be key to success.
With experience in technical leadership (particularly at a systems level) and familiarity with countermeasure concepts will enable you to drive our hardworking team in delivering high impact advice for our UK defence.
It takes a rare combination of skills to keep us ahead in a world characterised by complexity, instability and uncertainty. But we know you’re up to the task!
In this role you'll:
As a Level 5 you will:
• Develop & sustain capability (people relationships, infrastructure, knowledge, licences to practice) to provide technical/scientific contribution to current and future projects across Dstl
• Provide timely, impartial, evidence-based advice to customers to enable them to make informed decisions representing the best platform protection and value for investment.
• Support Project Managers in development of research and procurement plans for platform countermeasures through provision of technical advice.
• Support the coordinated countermeasure effects technical capability principal (the senior specialist in the field) in planning, delivering and reporting on research and operational advice.
• Identify resource requirements for effective technical delivery of project plans and work with Team Leaders to assign tasks to technical staff;
Building on the Level 5 responsibilities, a Level 6 will additionally:
• Coordinate the delivery of advice and progress on key research areas back to key customers and partners;
• Lead a team of domain specialists to deliver projects to a project manager and customers
• Provide technical review and assurance of work done by others within the project;
• Engage with partners to understand their drivers now and over the next 5-10 years in order to support Dstl capability planning;
• Provide technical briefings on progress in key research areas back to senior technical staff and key customers and partners;
• Provide mentorship and direction to junior technical staff.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Existing knowledge of Systems Engineering practices
• A good understanding in either Electro Optic or Radio Frequency technology
• The drive to build a capability from the ground up and develop networks across the MOD, Military, industry and international partners to inspire changes in the countermeasure development cycle
• To think strategically and link multiple projects together into delivering a core theme.
• An ability to quickly develop good working relationships with a variety of people
• Good networking skills
• Tact and subtlety in looking after a wide range of issues/challenges with customers and partners
• Persistence to see things through to a conclusion
• Able to communicate coherently
• To successfully prioritise multiple tasks at a time
• The ability to work with colleagues to achieve a common goal
• A flexible leadership style and can provide direction and support to a project team of mixed levels and experience
Please see the attached job profile for further information
BSc/BEng level qualifications in a STEM-based degree
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Seeing the Big Picture
Communicating and Influencing
Developing Self and Others
Delivering at Pace
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
• Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month
• Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
• Chartership and accreditation support.
• Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
• A competitive salary.
• Onsite gyms and restaurants.
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Sifting will take place within 2 weeks after the closing date and if successful, you'll be invited for interview.
Assessment will comprise of a behaviour & technical based interview during which you will be required to deliver a 10 minute presentation (details of which will be provided within your invite to interview. Please see attached Job Description for details of the behaviours that are relevant for this role.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Due to the current situation interviews are likely to be held via video link and full details will be sent to you should you be invited to an interview.
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
DSTL is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org