Ministers are seeking to appoint a Chair to the board of the Food Standards Agency (FSA). The Chair is appointed by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Wales and Northern Ireland Ministers acting jointly.
The FSA has a statutory remit to protect the health of the public and the interests of consumers in relation to food.
The Chair will be expected to provide leadership and challenge to the organisation working with the Board and Chief Executive to set the strategic direction for the FSA, ensuring the department continues to be highly effective in protecting public health, the consumer’s wider interests in relation to food, and delivering its mission of “food we can trust”, whilst recognising the need to regulate in a proportionate way, balancing risk and freedom to make choices.
It is essential that applicants can demonstrate:
• strong strategic leadership skills and a career record of achievement at the highest levels, with the ability to lead a significant national organisation through a period of high-profile scrutiny;
• commitment to inclusive practice and promoting equality of opportunity;
• excellent communication skills, and that they are comfortable operating in the open, including with the media;
• that they are politically astute and adept at building productive and supportive relationships with multiple stakeholders in governments, industry, science and consumer fields; and
• a clear commitment to the FSA’s role in protecting public health, the consumer’s wider interests in relation to food, and delivering its mission of “food we can trust”.
Remuneration for the role will be £70,000 for a time commitment of 2.5 to 3 days per week. Ministers determine the length of appointment, which will be for up to a maximum of 3 years.
For more information, please visit the Public Appointments website:
http://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/chair-of-the-food-standards-agency-vac-1692 If you require an alternative format please call Daniel Clemence on 0113 254 5335 quoting reference VAC-1692.
The closing date for applications is midday 25 January 2021. The Department of Health and Social Care values and promotes diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community.