Employer of the week
Finance Business Partner
Salary:£39,716 - £48,000
About the job
Dstl's Finance team delivers essential expertise to an organisation which delivers vital Science and Technology research and advice to Government Defence and Security. If you are qualified, experienced and want to join our high performing and well-motivated team then we want to hear from you.
You will be a qualified and dedicated finance professional with experience of working with non-finance colleagues to steer and influence the business and drive and implement improvements to the way we work and the value we bring to the business.
You will ensure the Division Head, and their management team, have the appropriate financial information and support to enable decision-making in order to deftly conduct their roles. You will provide financial direction and mentorship for planning and implementation of the divisions’ activities and support continuous improvement. You will also be the line manager for a local finance team.
We offer a modern working environment, interesting work and the opportunity to make a real difference to the role of finance in a business which is vital to the future Defence and Security needs of the nation.
Recently our Finance team won the Ministry of Defence team of the year and now we're ready to build on this success as our organisation moves into an exciting new phase.
In this role you will:
The Business Partner role is flexible and diverse meaning you could be involved in a variety of activities. These are some of the key areas you’ll be focusing on:
• Providing professional contribution on behalf of the finance function to one or more directorates that is timely, accurate and adds value, ensuring that strategic intent is maintained.
• Enabling informed and effective financial and business decision-making by ensuring that financial support provided by yourself and management accounting team is timely, accessible and of good quality.
• Continuously improving service delivery through feedback from our customers.
• Providing support in the preparation of budgets and forecasts including authoritative financial advice on the impacts of changing requirements and targets.
• Delivering required financial and other management information to corporate centre in line with published timetables and ad hoc requirements.
• Building and maintaining relationships with internal and external customers and partners.
• Providing quality oversight and assurance of financial information, actively encouraging innovation and improvement both within the finance community and with wider influence.
• Identifying and support improvements to business processes, considering organisation effectiveness and not just short term savings.
• Improve financial awareness of Senior Management, leadership roles and project managers within Dstl and MOD.
• Ensuring knowledge flow through the organisation and to ensure professional finance discipline.
• Deliver appropriate awareness training to non-finance staff in key leadership and management roles.
• Maintain an effective, engaged, motivated and balanced team.
• Ensuring the finance team maintains its objectivity, impartiality, independence and integrity in adhering to professional code of ethics, applicable accounting and reporting standards and other corporate policy/guidelines.
We are looking for someone who can:
• Influence the strategic direction and decisions of our divisional leadership community;
• Provide line management, technical and professional leadership to the finance members in their team;
• Work with colleagues from other disciplines to support and advise local business unit management teams;
• Effectively communicate and present financial issues, impacts and opportunities to your area of the business
• For this role you will be professionally qualified through CIMA or other CCAB body.
• Up to 3 years post qualification experience.
A career path that can demonstrate effective delivery of:
• Excellent management accounting skills;
• Complex financial analysis and preparation of budgets, forecasts and corporate planning assumptions;
• Understanding the financial and commercial risks of the business;
• Influencing without line management authority and building strong relationships with senior colleagues;
• Pricing structures and a good understanding of Microsoft Excel;
• Undertaking financial analysis quickly and accurately;
• Working to tight deadlines;
• Investment appraisal expertise;
• Understanding current reporting/presentation tools and techniques.
• Awareness of government accounting and Managing Public Money;
• Knowledge of MODs Annual Budget Cycle process;
• Understanding of Strategic Partnering/Outsourcing Contracts
Accredited to a professional accounting body
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Making Effective Decisions
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
We'll provide a great range of benefits including:
Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
Flexible Working hours, a rolling 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 20 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
Chartership and accreditation support.
Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
A competitive salary.
Onsite gyms and restaurants.
Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
DSTL recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following:
• Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
• Faith and Culture Network
• Parents and Carer Support Network
• Alternative Working Network
• Gender Equality Network
• New Starters Network
• Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com