Based from any of our regional offices in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast
The Technology Team is expanding to improve Ofcom’s capability to process, analyse and extract insights for our Connected Nations programme. We require a junior Data Engineer to co-ordinate the collection, quality assurance and processing of data for use by our analysts.
This activity underpins our annual Connected Nations report which provides information on the availability of fixed and mobile services, so that consumers can be better informed in choosing the provider that is most suitable for them. The report, and related open outputs and updates throughout the year, are used to inform policy makers within Ofcom and across government about the availability of communications services across the UK.
Ofcom looks after communications in the UK. From phones and broadband to TV, radio, post and wireless devices, we regulate services at the heart of people’s everyday lives.
This is an exciting time to join Ofcom. We’re delivering vital work to help shape the communications services of today and tomorrow – from helping the UK be a world leader in 5G mobile, to driving investment in ultrafast broadband and supporting the traditional postal service.
Diversity and Inclusion
Ofcom is a forward-thinking, inclusive employer. We are among the Times’ Top 50 UK employers for women. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident employer and one of Vercida’s Top 10 employers for black and minority-ethnic colleagues.
Reward and Benefits
The reward package at Ofcom is based on more than just salary. Colleagues can choose the benefits of most value to them, using a flexible benefits package to suit individual needs. The range of benefits reflects the flexible environment we aim to create, such as the option to purchase additional annual leave, travel insurance, or private medical cover for your family.
Working Environments and Flexible Working
We understand that the working environment is important to our colleagues, which is why we ensure that our offices are bright, modern places to work. We have offices in London, Belfast, Edinburgh and Cardiff, as well as field operations offices in Merseyside and Surrey.
Ofcom has introduced an agile working model, making changes to our offices to transform how we work. Colleagues are free to move around our offices, enabling them to work alongside and collaborate with other teams and groups.
We also believe that we have a part to play in protecting the environment around us. We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and have introduced initiatives to help us consume less energy, including a cycle-to-work scheme and a car-share scheme.
Purpose of the Role
The analysis and interpretation of data is vital for us to deliver our regulatory duties. We are looking for someone who can fulfil a valuable junior role in our crucial process of building, developing and maintaining our data management systems and to help us get the best from data.
We need someone who can work with colleagues in the Technology Team, to partner with our Data Innovation Hub, and other teams across the organisation, to develop requirements and then put in place the necessary automated systems to extract, transform and load the data sets for subsequent analysis. You will use continuous improvement and development processes and deliver technical guidance alongside other data engineering functions.
Requirements of the Role
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to understand how they use data
- Support the Connected Nations project team through understanding their data requirements and providing the information to meet their goals
- Work with the Connected Nations project team to enable the effective and timely delivery of information from internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively maintain systems to extract, transform and load (ETL) data
- Provide the Connected Nations project team and other analysts with the data required to undertake their analysis
- Maintain and further develop our application programming interfaces (APIs), which provide data to a range of stakeholders
- Continuously seek ways in to improve our data systems and pipelines to be in line with industry best practice
- Develop systems that are compliant with our relevant information security and data management principles
- Support our work in advising colleagues on how data can be used to effectively provide information to consumers
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Applicants should be able to demonstrate capability in:
- Developing, coding, testing, correcting and documenting programs or scripts
- Using technical tools such as Python, C++, Java, PHP or Spark
- Use of environments such as PostgreSQL, Cosmos and Azure
- Communicating technical concepts across organisational and technical boundaries
- Working independently, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability
Applicants should have experience in:
- Information management and collection processes
- Engineering data processes that transform raw data into a state fit for subsequent analysis
- Working across organisational boundaries to understand requirements, translate these requirements into technical specifications and deliver business outcomes
- Presenting clear insights to colleagues to support the end use of the data
Applicants should be technically qualified in a computer science subject or with equivalent experience
To apply for the role of Data Engineer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Junior Data Engineer, Junior Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, Junior Data Analyst, or Data Systems Engineer.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com