Employer of the week
Principal Cyber Security Expert
Salary:£39,716 - £54,683
About the job
Dstl is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). At Dstl, we protect lives; it means every aspect of our work has real purpose and the potential to be life-changing. To achieve the impossible, we collaborate with partners from around the globe to work across various fields. It’s what makes us world leaders. With the freedom to work in a way that suits you, Dstl supports our people to come up with unusual and unexpected solutions. Solutions that simply can’t be developed anywhere else!
Who do we want to recruit?
We are looking for people with a flair for problem solving and a passion for new technologies, who are looking for a career with a difference!
As a Principal Cyber Security Expert, you’ll have a deep specialism or wide understanding within cyber security. You’ll provide a professional contribution across a multitude of projects; linking their day-to-day running with organisational and MOD strategic intent. You’ll lead a technical specialism, consistently seeking broader application and identifying interdependencies with other capabilities to improve exploitation and delivery to stakeholders.
We're looking for research, design or development experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Cyber Security
• Computer Science
• Enterprise Security Architectures
• Systems Engineering
• Embedded Systems Security
• Incident Response
You should have knowledge in at least one of these areas, but the most important traits are an ability to tackle unique, complex problems and a strong willingness to learn.
Dstl's Cyber Security and Safety Group
The UK must maintain an operational advantage to keep our citizens safe and maintain our prosperity. To support this, Dstl’s Cyber Security and Safety Group conducts targeted research and provides specialist advice. If you join us you could be involved in:
• Developing the next generation of technologies, tools and techniques to allow UK defence and security to identify, project, detect, respond and recover from cyber attack
• Analysing and evaluating safety, security and mission critical systems
• Providing independent technical evaluation of military and commercial products
• Influencing the technologies and cyber resilience of the future generations of military platforms and capabilities
• Supporting MOD’s approach to transformational cyber strategy and policy
• Systems engineering to inform through-life assurance cyber security
“As a dedicated and specialist organisation, Dstl provides innovative technologies and optimises in-service equipment to have direct impact on current military operations.” - Major Ben, embedded military officer at Dstl
Why work for Dstl?
Our unique position in government means that you will:
• Work on a multitude of exciting and ambitious projects that, owing to their sensitivity, cannot be done anywhere else.
• Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and supports national prosperity.
• Do the right things for the right reasons; we’re completely impartial and not in it for profit.
• Form links across Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
• Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet future, ground breaking challenges.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Real responsibility from the beginning.
• Development through training, Chartership support, coaching and mentoring.
• A new starter network and programme.
• Highly flexible working hours with no core hours, and the option for home working.
• 25 days annual leave growing to 30 days after 5 years’ service, plus 8 bank holidays, and the opportunity to buy or sell up to 10 days extra leave.
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Generous pension allowances.
• On-site gym, sports and social clubs, and other benefits like discounts through a range of schemes
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
Step 1: Application
Please apply with a CV and a covering letter explaining how your skills could benefit our work.
Step 2: Phone interviews
We will have an informal exploratory conversation with you to find out more about your skills and experience.
Step 3: Technical and behavioural based interview
If invited to interview you will be assessed on your technical ability and a variety of behaviours specific to the role.
Owing to COVID-19, all interviews will be conducted in line with Government guidelines. Whilst we would prefer to meet candidates in person, we appreciate we’re in unprecedented times and, if necessary, are able to offer interviews on a suitable online platform.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Dstl Recruitment
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org