Estates Programmes Leader
Salary:£58,531 - £75,641
Fareham, South East, PO17 6AD : Salisbury, South West, SP4 0JQ
About the job
As our Estates Programme Leader you’ll get an exciting insight into the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl). Dstl is a unique Estates challenge with a mixture of buildings from 1915 historic builds to brand new Government capability critical buildings. You will be responsible for supporting the Head of Estates (HoE) through the responsible execution of their strategic vision for Estates. You’ll be enabling the delivery of the Built Environment and Infrastructure Portfolio within DSTL; aligned to industry and government best practise and ultimately helping to deliver Dstl’s wider strategic objectives. At Dstl, we protect lives. We take innovative science and technology and use it to keep the country safe. This is your chance to be part of an organisation that’s unlike any other, where the challenges are unique
This is a collaborative role working with our Science & Technology (S&T) Divisions to establish the Estates requirements and demands across all Dstl sites. You’ll work closely with the Built Environment and Infrastructure Portfolio Manager ensuring prioritisation and implementation of appropriate governance from conception of requirements to completion including provision of BIM. You’ll ensure all relevant client information is collected and a smooth and successful handover from the contractor and fulfillment of benefits through defects management and the soft landings.
This isn’t just a chance to work across a substantial estate. You’ll give our team an environment where they can excel – and keep the country safe. Join us and become the unexpected.
In this role you will be:
• Working in partnership with the Dstl Estates technical leadership team to establish and embed the Dstl Built Environment and Infrastructure portfolio
• Working in partnership with the Science & Technology Divisions on alignment with the Estates strategy and concept of operation, focused on enabling an integrated service delivery model.
• Partnering with the Dstl Internal Portfolio and aligning delivery with the wider defence estates delivery plan.
• Managing dependencies of varying complexity, potentially planning and feeding into larger programmes and portfolios.
• Removing the blockers and managing risks, commercials and budgets.
• Having an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Prince/APMP/NEC3 and other methodologies.
• Taking responsibility for understanding, managing and communicating to complex partner groups, whilst balancing priorities.
• Acting as the initial escalation point for the Dstl Built Environment and Infrastructure Portfolio and have an awareness of the bigger picture.
• Establishing and reviewing the Built Environment and Infrastructure Portfolio collating capital and revenue demand and aligning to the internal portfolio and (Dstl Estates Strategy and defence estates delivery plan).
• Communicating effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the digital context.
• On behalf of the Head of Estates, determining the strategic vision and direction for the Dstl Built Environment and Infrastructure Portfolio ensuring alignment with the Dstl Estates Strategy and positively influence important senior stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who has:
• The ability to lead, influence and motivate colleagues in the development of an integrated estates programme.
• Skills and capabilities drawn from a career in portfolio, programme or project management.
• The ability to communicate effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries, understanding the context and successfully reacting and responding to challenge.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills and professional skills to lead and influence across an organisation.
• Strong stakeholder engagement and collaborative skills.
You'll also have the ability to demonstrate the application of technical knowledge in the following areas:
• Estates buildings life cycle management; including CDM
• Project / programme management
• Asset Management
• Building Information Modelling
These will be key skills for anyone taking on this role.
- Managing Successful Programmes Practitioner
- APM Registered Project Professional
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Delivering at Pace
Seeing the Big Picture
Communicating and Influencing
Managing a Quality Service
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Managing a Quality Service
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Candidate applications will be sifted in the week beginning 20th July 2020. Interviews are anticipated to be undertaken during the week beginning 27th July 2020. Due to the current circumstances it is likely that these interviews will take place via video. Please note: These dates are subject to change.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our status as a “Reserve Post” organisation, Dstl vacancies are open to candidates who only hold UK nationality.
If you hold Dual Nationality, i.e. have the right to abode, have citizenship or hold a passport/national identity card for another country outside the UK – you will not be eligible for this role.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will not be used to make a decision about your application - no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Sarah Reeman
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org