Estates Contract Management Leader
Salary:£58,531 - £75,641
Fareham, South East, PO17 6AD : Salisbury, South West, SP4 0JQ
About the job
As our Estates Contract Management Leader, you will be the single point of delegated authority and contract ownership for outsourced Facilities Management (FM) and Business Support Services (BSS) contracts across Dstl. This will include technical leadership within the Estates Group for the management of financial, commercial, project and service delivery providing oversight of all third party delivery and ensuring adherence to associated contractual obligations. You will play an important role in ensuring that our FM supplier maintains the Dstl estate in accordance with current legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
At Dstl, we protect lives. We take innovative science and technology and use it to keep the country safe. Our teams work across diverse sites including state-of-the-art laboratories, which make up a complex and varied estate. It’s your chance to be part of an organisation that’s unlike any other, where the challenges are unique.
As Dstl is a participant in the Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) Future Defence Infrastructure Service (FDIS) programme, a key accountability is active management of the re-tendering exercise and implementation for hard and soft FM services over the next 2 years (ca £20million pa). This role is the key interface with our FM provider(s) and stakeholders and landing this well for Dstl is essential.
This isn’t just a chance to work across a substantial estate. You’ll give our team an environment where they can excel – and keep the country safe. Join us and become the unexpected.
In this role you will:
• Lead on tendering exercise and implementation for hard and soft FM services over the next 2 years (ca £20million pa)acting as the key interface with our FM provider(s) and stakeholders and landing this well for Dstl is essential.
• To develop a culture of partnership and collaboration between Estates and BSS Providers to deliver a consistent approach to the delivery of contracts.
• To define and establish governance processes between Estates and the relevant governing Boards and ensure the proper development and use of dispute escalation processes.
• To manage the contract management support team and provide direct line management responsibility to the Team Leader.
• Manage strategic relationships with Estates contract providers to identify opportunities, risk and mitigate potential disputes. To ensure that appropriate checks and controls are in place in order that administrative and financial integrity is developed and maintained, with the systems and initiatives required to ensure efficiency, performance management and value for money.
• Ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor contract compliance across the Estates Contracts for the maintenance of current statutory and regulatory legislation and or MoD/ Government policy
• To ensure professional responsibility and accountability for the effectiveness, availability and value for money of all Estates and BSS service contracts through, for example, the proper accumulation and use of intelligence including benchmarking, contract audit, monitoring finance, contract reporting, etc.
• To develop and implement a plan and maintain for the Estates and BSS contracts in line with the Infrastructure and Estates Strategy ensuring both a scheduled and flexible service;
• Engagement and influencing at senior levels; both with internal and external stakeholders to ensure credibility of Estates and effective communications in relation to contracts held by the Estates Group.
• Ensure risks identified within the Estates and BSS contracts are proportionately managed in line with Dstl’s risk appetite; identifying contributing events in relation to these contracts including Early Warning Notices and Compensation Events.
• Lead the technical area to ensure that Key Performance Indicators KPIs are in place to measure the contractor’s performance against incentive thresholds;
• Form part of the Estates Senior Leadership team and deliver the Dstl’s Strategic objectives as directed by the Head of Estates
We are looking for someone who has:
• Experience of managing substantial service contracts in the Defence sector
• Experience of managing facilities across multiple locations
• Experience of managing budgets for multiple teams and delivering a high quality cost effective Facilities Management Service.
• Experience of leading and shaping multidisciplinary teams
• Proven track record of effective risk management and inspection processes for buildings
• Demonstrable experience of contractor management and supplier relationship management
• Senior stakeholder management, facilitation and partnership building
• Experience of client-side management of an outsourced FM provider
• Sound commercial awareness
• Ability to prioritise workload in the face of conflicting demands and flexible in the response to changing situations
• Substantial experience of technical and soft services Facility Management
• Good project management skills with the ability to successfully drive through and complete business change
Government Contract Management Training and Accreditation (CMTA) completed at Foundation level within 1 month of start, and registered for the Expert Level within 2 months of starting post.
- Masters / MBA or equivalent recognised by a building services profession organisation
- Project / programme management related qualification such as APMP, MSP
- Government Contract Management Training Accreditation (CMTA) at Expert Level
Membership of or qualifications recognised by a building services professional organisation (RICS, CIOB, IWFM)
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
Communicating and Influencing
Managing a Quality Service
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Making Effective Decisions
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Candidate applications will be sifted in the week beginning 20th July 2020. Interviews are anticipated to be undertaken during the week beginning 27th July 2020. Due to the current circumstances these interviews are likely to be via video interview. Please note: These dates are subject to change dependent on the volume of applications.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our status as a “Reserve Post” organisation, Dstl vacancies are open to candidates who only hold UK nationality.
If you hold Dual Nationality, i.e. have the right to abode, have citizenship or hold a passport/national identity card for another country outside the UK – you will not be eligible for this role.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will not be used to make a decision about your application - no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Sarah Reeman
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org