Risk and Assurance Adviser
Salary:£24,558 - £27,991
The role is primarily based at Porton Down, though some working from other sites is permitted.
About the job
We are looking for a Business Risk and Assurance Adviser to join our unique environment and to drive forward our culture of good governance.
We have a well-established and highly-respected team of governance, assurance and risk professionals who have got to know our organisation exceptionally well. Could your experience in other organisations amplify our effectiveness?
This is a wide-ranging and influential role and we expect your challenges to evolve. We believe our organisation has what it needs today, but we want you to help us be ready for whatever lies in our future.
We expect you to be a great teammate as well as a self?starter. You are going to need to be comfortable operating with ambiguity and confident when you engage with staff, including senior staff.
In this role you will;
• Delivering work packages, scoping requirements and delivering through others.
• Supporting workshops to help leadership teams across Dstl explore and understand the issues or gaps in the way Dstl works.
• Collating and interpreting information about Dstl’s business, specifically about our risks and our assurance, and provide options for addressing the opportunities you uncover.
• Assisting in the delivery of training packages to improve how Dstl understands, handles and assures risks to our business.
• Interpreting what is being reported in reviews, audits and other areas of assurance. You will relate that to Dstl’s risk picture; identifying gaps and giving advice.
• Keeping an eye on all Dstl's assurance plans – you will see that they are being delivered and you will act on the output.
Your work will support Dstl in assessing the overall assurance status of our agency and provide the evidence we need to maintain trust and deliver our important work.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate following skills and experience:
• A strong ability to understand, interpret and articulate complex systems problems.
• Excellent analytical skills,
• A talent for engaging with people from all areas of our business.
• Your experience working in risk or assurance will be helpful, but your key asset will be the way you explore the issues, analyse the situation, build solutions, and take people with you.
• You must have experience of working in a team
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Changing and Improving
Seeing the Big Picture
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Candidates that are successful at sift will be invited to a 45 minute interview at Porton Down for a behaviour based interview.
Those invited to interview will be expected to give a 10 minute presentation on "What are the benefits of good assurance and risk management for an organisation."
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our status as a “Reserve Post” organisation, Dstl vacancies are open to candidates who only hold UK nationality.
If you hold Dual Nationality, i.e. have the right to abode, have citizenship or hold a passport/national identity card for another country outside the UK – you will not be eligible for this role.
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will not be used to make a decision about your application - no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Steve Cox
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment team :
Email : email@example.com
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com