Safety and Laser Technician
£24,558 - £35,379
Porton Down, Salisbury
Portsdown West, Fareham
About the job
The Safety and Laser Technician will provide Health Safety Protection advice and assurance to the Platform Systems Division and contribution to meeting the requirements for professional Safety advice.
You will work as part of a virtual team across Dstl to undertake low risk non-complex activities in support of Division objectives. You will support incident reporting, carry out initial fact finding and ensure that the appropriate corporate reporting process has been applied and that actions are monitored to close out.
You will demonstrate drive and commitment to the use of innovative, novel and creative tools, methods and techniques to promote a safety culture across the Division.
A key aspect of the role will be to pursue professional and career development to undertake the role of Laser Safety Advisor in order to provide resilience for this role across Dstl. This future role provides safety advice relating to Lasers and Artificial Optical Radiation (AOR) and carries personal delegation from wider MOD. Both formal and informal training will form part of your development.
The Platform Systems Division provides a single focus for platform-based capability covering all mission and weapons systems, and the related integrated survivability capabilities. The Division is responsible for all advice and solutions to capability gaps that require platform based solutions. This Division primarily supports the Front Line Commands. The Division undertakes complex work with a significant number of trials including those involving Lasers and Artificial Optical Radiation.
In this role you will
• Work across the Platforms Systems Division providing safety advice on low risk non-complex activities. You will develop a working relationship with the wider laboratory health and safety team and liaise with them for more complex matters.
• Monitor accident and incident reports across the Division and carry out initial fact finding in support in support of incident investigations. You will ensure that the appropriate corporate reporting process has been applied and that any actions are monitored to close out.
• Provide assurance services by acting as a member of the Division assurance team, including administration of wider H&S assurance programmes.
• Supporting Division leadership undertake regular inspections of the workplace in line with the Division timetable.
• You will work closely with the Laser Safety Advisor and the Radiation Safety Technical Authority who provide advice regarding this hazard area.
• Undertake professional and career development leading to providing competent advice on laser and artificial optical radiation safety
• Demonstrate awareness of Health and Safety and be able to apply technical knowledge across a variety of scenarios.
• Knowledge of the roles of the regulatory and statutory organisations, the regimes they operate and why.
• Commitment to remaining current in their knowledge and qualifications through continuing professional development.
• Able to apply local arrangements for incident reporting and recording, and make effective use of such information.
• Understand the fundamental principles of emergency response and able to interpret local plans and put them into practice.
• Promotes/develops a positive Health and Safety culture in their area of responsibility.
• A recognised environmental, fire or audit qualification at National Qualifications Framework Level 2 (or higher) and the membership of a relevant professional body.
• BOSH, PROFICIENCY MODULE, P304: Assessments under the COSHH Regulations
• Knowledge of the research undertaken on behalf of the MOD relating to Platforms, Weapons or Survivability.
• Experience in either laboratory or engineering environments
Hold TechIOSH (or equivalent) and working towards, chartered membership of a professional H&S body (i.e. IOSH, IIRSM or BOHS etc.).
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
Managing a Quality Service
Changing and Improving
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules.
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Candidates in their probationary period are not eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Dstl HR Recruitment
01980 950000 option 4
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews will take place in Porton Down or Portsdown West.
Please note that Dstl will be contacting individuals via email and you should check your junk mail folder regularly. Any attachments may not be available via smart phone or tablet views.
If you are applying for this position as a Job Share please indicate if you have a partner who is also applying for this vacancy and if you are successful but they are not if you would still consider the role.
The Civil Service is moving to Name-Blind sifting and applications to Dstl will follow this process. However where a CV has been requested this functionality is not currently available
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page:
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job.
If you see a vacancy on Ethnic Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com